My setup consists of 5 separate buys.
1. Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD telescope, with 10 +25mm EPs and a Moon filter. The shop also added a free 15mm Celestron Omni Plossl EP (its the best 1 i have so far. The red dot finder is useless so it was removed, but it's mounting makes a great place to secure my solar filter so it cant blow off, The motor drive needs a new battery almost straight away.
2. An LP filter, 6X20mm finder and a cleaning kit containing brush/ air blower, lens cleaning fluid and tissues.
3. Starter scope EP upgrade kit, containing a 2X Barlow, Meade MA20 +12mm, and a Kellner 6mm EPs. The 6mm isnt very good at all, even on daytime terrestrial targets.
4. A4 sheet of Baader solar filter film. Enough to make a full aperture solar filter, also some for my 12X50 binos. Some insulation tape, gluesticks and new scissors.
5. Philips SP880NC webcam + adapter for prime focus imaging. Tested the A-focal image today on a mill a couple of miles away today and got a very good picture just holding the cam to the 20mm eyepiece. Worth a try at Saturn later with it taped to the 15mm. It can also fit to the piggy back mount on my tube rings.
Adding £25 for 2 sets of cheap binoculars and £8 for another standard webcam to experiment with. The total cost is so far £285. However i'm not finshed yet, I need a set of planetary filters, and a hydrogen-Alpha. A Celestron Omni 32mm plossl EP, an 8-24mm zoom EP, a better 2X Barlow and a 3X too. They in total will cost around £240. I also want a laptop to get out to darker skies for imaging.
I used the Moon filter to reduce the glare of the Sun further than the solar filter to bring out the spots on screen and aid focussing and the barlow lens for double Magnification. Camera was set with lowered brightness, and very little gain. Exposure was at 1/250th, frame rate seemed unimportant but had it on 30fps. I would line the scope up then let the Sunspots drift through the FOV whilst recording. With Registax i would throw out anything less than 50% quality, once aligned, optimised and stacked. Under the wavelet tab, i raised layer 1 to 100% 6 at 60% and 2-5 staggerred in between 1 and 6 which sharpened up the image very well. Under the final tab, i used the HSL settings to bring out more contrast, lowering the brightness and saturation. Finally i resized the image to 200% and saved as a TIF file.
The whole process took about 25-30 minutes in total.
Hope this will be of use to anyone starting out with a small budget.
All the best,
British weather don't half suck!
Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ, 80mm utilityscope.
6mm K, Celestron 10mm, 15mm OMNI, 12, 20, 25mm Meade MA EPs. APO 3 speed Barlow lens.
Solar, Light pollution, 11, 12, 23A ,82A Baader ir/uv cut filters.
Philips SPC880NC webam with 1.25" adapter, 0.6 reducer 10X50, 12X50 (BAK-4) sports bino